Idaho Make it With Wool Contest
Contest & Fashion Show: November 19, 2022, Moscow, Idaho
Celebrating Wool & Mohair
The Idaho Make It With Wool Contest is a once-a-year contest supported by the Idaho Wool Growers Association. Contestants include sewers, knitters, crocheters, felters, and designers. First-place winners in the Junior and Senior divisions are invited to compete in the National Make it With Wool Contest. This contest highlights the beauty and versatility of wool while teaching life skills such as sewing, public speaking, and confidence.
- To promote the beauty and versatility of wool fabrics, fibers, and yarns.
- To encourage personal creativity in sewing, knitting, crocheting, or felting with wool fabrics, fibers, and yarns.
- To recognize creative skills.
- To develop life skills including:
- Being responsible for one’s self
- Being a good sport
- Accepting judges’ decisions
- Learning about and appreciating diversity
- Preteens: age 12 and under
- Juniors: ages 13-16
- Seniors: ages 17-24
- Adults: age 25 and older
o Participants must compete in the state where they are a legal resident.
o The contestant’s age is as of January 1 of the competition year
Juniors, Seniors, and Adults may enter:
- One-piece garment: Dress, jumper, outerwear jacket, coat, or cape.
- Two-piece outfit: Coat, jacket, cape, blouse/shirt, vest or sweater WITH dress, jumper, skirt, pants, or shorts.
- Ensemble: 3 or more garments worn together at one time: Coat, jacket, cape, blouse/shirt, vest, and/or sweater WITH dress, jumper, skirt, pants, or shorts.
Preteens may enter:
- Dress, jumper, skirt, pants, shorts, vest, sweater, shirt/blouse, jacket, or a combination of garments.
Anyone regardless of race, creed, or sex who meets age and
other guidelines may participate. To participate, please note the following:
- Participants must compete in the state where they are a legal resident.
- Complete and mail entry forms with required attachments as directed on entry form by October 1, 2022 to national and state director.
- Use a separate form for each entry.
- Pay $12 non-refundable entry fee (payable to National MIWW) for each garment.
- Pay $5 non-refundable testing fee (payable to Idaho MIWW) for each wool fabric and/or yarn. Send to State Director: Kim Monk, 17013 Evans Road, Genesee, ID 83832
OVERALL JUDGING CRITERIA
In judging pieces, judges will consider:
- Appropriate to contestant age and the contestant’s lifestyle.
- Fit and overall appearance.
- Coordination of fabric/yarn/fibers with garment style and design.
- Presentation of garment by the contestant.
- Construction quality.
- Creativity in design and use of wool.
- Conveys/ promotes the beauty, comfort, and versatility of wool.
- 100% wool or wool blends containing a minimum of 60% wool or specialty wool fiber for each fashion fabric, fiber, or yarn used. Specialty fibers include alpaca, angora, camel, cashmere, llama, and mohair.
- The garment body (back, front, and sleeves) must be made from wool or wool-blend fabric. When these pieces (back, front, sleeves) are joined together, a wearable garment is created.
- Vests may have the back made of non-wool fabric when it (vest) is worn with a suit or a sport coat or blazer. The back must be made from wool fabric if the vest is worn alone with pants, skirt and/or outerwear (coat/jacket).
- Trims, lace, or other open-weave or decorative fabrics not meeting the 60% wool fiber minimum, must not completely cover nor replace any portion of the major garment sections (back, front, sleeves).
- Trims, facings, linings, interfacings, and underlining may be from fabrics other than wool or wool blends.
Entry Form (due by October 1, 2022)
Click Here for the Official Entry Form
- Download the entry form.
- Send one copy of the completed entry form with a $12 Entry Fee for each garment category to the national office. Make check payable to National MIWW
Mail to: National MIWW, PO Box 21, Encampment, WY 82325.
- Send one copy of the completed Entry Form with a $5 testing fee for each wool fabric used.
Make check payable to: Idaho MIWW
Idaho Make It With Wool
17013 Evans Road
Genesee, ID 83832
ENTRY FORM AND FEES MUST BE RECEIVED BY OCTOBER 1, 2022.
COMPLETE CONTEST ENTRY MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY IDAHO MIWW DIRECTOR BY OCTOBER 1, 2022.
Entries are mailed to
Idaho Make It With Wool
17013 Evans Road
Genesee, ID 83832
Questions? Email by clicking on the link below
- Junior & Senior Winners advance to national contest January 19-21, 2023, at the Omni Hotel in Fort Worth, TX.
- Adult Winner advances to national contest; entry is mailed to national contest in early December.
- Additional state prizes include Pendleton fabric yardage, sewing equipment, notions and other prizes.
NATIONAL CONTEST (may include)
· $2,000 American Sheep Industry Women Scholarships for Junior & Senior winners
· $1,000 Pendleton Woolen Mills Scholarship for Junior winner
· $1,000 American Wool Council for Fashion & Apparel Design
· Fabric, sewing books, equipment, and notions
Special National Awards – see the national MIWW brochure for more details
o Exemplary Construction
o Machine Embroidery
o Mohair Award
o Handiwork Award
o Needlework Award
o NEW THIS YEAR: Claire Shaeffer Award (Top Jr. & Sr. garments)
MAKE IT WITH WOOL
FASHION & APPAREL DESIGN COMPETITION RULES
Click Here for MIWW Fashion and Apparel Design Entry Form
College students enrolled in Fashion or Apparel Design create an original garment design (flat pattern, draping, or CAD) and then sew, knit, crochet, or felt the garment(s) using wool fabrics, fibers, and/or yarns.
• Only students currently pursuing a degree in a college-level fashion or apparel design program may participate.
• Garment may be created for the participant or another model.
FABRIC/ FIBER/ YARN REQUIREMENTS/ FABRIC TESTING
• 100% wool or
• Specialty wool fibers include alpaca, angora, camel, cashmere, llama, mohair, and vicuna.
• All fabrics/yarns will be tested for wool percentage
– MIWW National Director will submit all samples for lab testing.
– Garment(s) made from fabrics not meeting the minimum wool requirements will be disqualified.
– Participants are encouraged to test for wool percentage prior to constructing garment(s).
• 100% wool or wool blends containing a minimum of 60% wool or specialty wool fiber for each fashion fabric, fiber, or yarn used
• Garment body (back, front, and sleeves) must be made from wool or wool-blend fabric. When these pieces- back, front, sleeves- are joined together, a wearable garment is created.
• Draped garments must be made entirely from wool or wool blend fabrics containing the minimum percentage of wool.
o Trims, facings, linings, interfacings, and underlining may be from fabrics other than wool or wool blends.
o Rovings and other materials used in fabric treatments, such as felting, must meet the minimum percentage of wool fiber and must not alter the total percentage of wool of the garment section.
o Sheep and/or lamb pelts and leather may be used as trim only.
See complete rules and entry at:
Click this link for MIWW Fashion and Apparel Design
PO Box 215
Encampment, WY 82325
For more information:
Click Here for the Official Fashion and Apparel Design Entry Form